"This service is a waste of resource"

About: Telford referral and quality service (TRAQS)

(as a service user),

Having been a patient of my eye specialist for the past 20 years, when my optician advised my cataract needed removing instead of having access to my consultant I was told he had to go via TRAQS.

A lady called to say there were no appointments available. I had to go via my specialists secretary to be seen. My specialist advised I should have been seen several months earlier!

I am now waiting to go on the operating list. This service is a waste or resource and totally inept. We've gone back 30 years in care.

What a mess! !

Response from Helen Handy, TRAQS & CAB Co-Ordinator, Telford and Wrekin CCG

Thank you for sharing your comments following your recent experience.

Unfortunately TRAQS rely upon the hospitals to provide appointment dates and times to enable us to book patients appointments.

Our local hospitals are struggling to meet the demand and unfortunately this is resulting in patients having to either travel out of the local area for an earlier appointment or else they choose to wait for a local appointment as you chose to do. This is beyond TRAQS control. and relates to other specialities as well as ophthalmology. The hospital consultants are fully aware of this situation and are working hard to resolve the long waiting list.

I am sure you appreciate that this situation is outside our control.

The TRAQS team will do our best to offer as many Choices as possible but ultimately it is the Patient's Choice where they go for their treatment.

Thank you again for taking the time to share your comments with us.