"The success of using 111"

About: Harmoni / NHS 111 St George's Hospital (Tooting) / Breast surgery

I attended my first routine breast screening at the hospital. The leaflet I was given said that out of 100 women that are screened, just 5 would be called back for another scan and 1 of those 5 would have breast cancer.

A week later I received a letter calling me back and because I'm a worrier anyway, as you might imagine I was very worried. The letter arrived on a Saturday morning so I was unable to ring the hospital or my GP for additional information or reassurance.

I turned to 111. My call was answered quickly on the Saturday morning and they arranged for an on call GP in my area to ring me for a chat. They did warn me that that could take up to 12 hours which I understood. To my surprise I received a call from that GP within 5 minutes. She was able to put my mind at rest immediately which made my weekend a lot easier to say the least!

On th Monday I called the hospital clinic and was able to bring my referral forward a week due to a cancellation thank goodness. The second scan was clear thank goodness.

The 111 service provided me with just that piece of mind that I needed at what was for a stressful time.

Response from St George's Healthcare NHS Trust

Thank you for letting us know about your experience. It is good to read that NHS 111 managed to arrange for a GP to ring you so very quickly, and that your second scan was clear. I will feed back to the service your experience of receiving a letter on the weekend when there is no one from the service available.

Response from St George's Hospital (Tooting)

Thank you for taking the time to post feedback about your experience under the NHS Breast Screening Service at St George’s Hospital. The manager of the service will be sent your comments on the communication you experienced and the timing of that communication. It is good to read that the second scan could be accommodated earlier and that it was clear.