"My colonoscopy"

About: Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother Hospital

I was admitted for the bowel prep day before my colonoscopy. I must admit I found this absolutely awful! The drink tasted like an industrial strength toilet cleanser with a cloying lemon flavour - yuk. Thankfully I had brought along two bottles of Lucozade and for every glass of medication I had some Lucozade and it made it just tolerable. I started off at 7pm and was still going to my commode at bedside til 2 a.m. Woken at 6 a.m. to start it all over again and this time I felt it was worse as the smell really nauseated me more than the night before. Finished drinking by 8 .a.m. and then started using commode at 8.30 a.m. which continued until 1.30pm. I finally had my colonoscopy, later than scheduled but that was ok. I wasn't going anywhere! I was surprised that I did not fall asleep as I had explained that ten years ago in Melbourne I had same procedure and fell asleep the instant the sedation was given and woke up in recovery . However I was told by the very nice doctor who was performing my procedure he would be surprised if I fell asleep as I was only having 2mg and he was right! I was awake throughout and watched some of it on screen and felt calm and relaxed. It was also completely pain free. The staff were all wonderful and two hours later I was allowed home. Some bleeding from my bottom but that had started before colonoscopy as it was so sore in spite of using baby wipes. One of the ward staff gave me some Anusol cream which helped. Slept for 7 hours straight that night at home. Woke up and used the loo and had one bowel motion loose but not painful at all. I now await my biopsy results which I will receive in 3 weeks at QEQM clinic. I was very impressed with all my excellent Ward Care on Cheerful Sparrows (female), each and every nurse treated me with respect and kindness. Well done QEQM!

Thank you so much for providing us with feedback, I am glad that the procedure went well for you. We are very proud of our staff who really try hard to provide a personal and caring service.