"Disgusted with attitudes and care"

About: Royal Albert Edward Infirmary

(as a friend),

My friend was in AEU in Wigan Infirmary 3 weeks ago and was disgusted with the treatment. The attitude of the nurses was appalling resulting in my friend being left on her own without help. My friend also had to assist a patient in a nearby bed to eat as no one was helping her. Also the decorators came in and my sick friend was moved rooms 4 times which is appalling. It was so bad that my friend discharged herself as she believed she would have died there had she stayed. She needed antibiotics but the doctor refused to prescribe any for her, laughing at her. She ended up going to see her GP who sorted her prescription out when she got home.

Response from Susan Heighway, Patient Relations / PALS Manager , Patient Relations / PALS, Wrightington, Wigan and Leigh NHS Foundation Trust

Thank you for your posting. I was sorry to read about your friend’s poor experience during their attendance to A&E as it is not what we wish to hear from the people who are using our services.

The Trust takes all complaints seriously and would be happy to look into your concerns on a more formal basis if you wish to get in touch. Please contact the Patient Relations Department so that we can fully investigate your concerns and provide you with information regarding our actions. In the meantime your concerns have been shared with the General Manager, Head of Nursing, and Clinical Director within the Division of Medicine.