"Very good, bar some little things"

About: Southend Hospital

It was very obvious that the hospitals business affected the efficiency of how things were run and it took a big toll on how quickly you got seen to, especially in the postnatal section of the ward. I did absolutely love the midwife and the student midwife I had to deliver my little girl in the beginning though, they were lovely and encouraging and made my first experience a lot easier to deal with, midwives were incredibly helpful (and didn't tell me off when I let my husband have a go on the gas and air...oops!) obviously I appreciate how busy the ward was, however I found one of the postnatal midwives to be very stern and sharp and she made me a little nervous to buzz if I needed help. However, the overnight staff were amazing and so comforting to talk to it really put me at ease when my little girl cried the whole night! One midwife was really lovely to talk to and she cheered me right up even though I really did not want to stay overnight!

Response from Louise McIver, Patient Involvement Coordinator, Southend University Hospital NHS Foundation Trust

Dear Laura

Regards,

Response from Southend Hospital

Dear Laura Thank you for taking the time to post your experience, we appreciate your feedback. I am pleased to hear that you were looked after by most of the staff and that they were encouraging and helpful at your time of need. We have training in place for staff to ensure they give patients the best possible care and our mission being, everybody matters, everything counts and everyone's responsible is paramount. I will ensure I pass on your comments to our Maternity department, I am sorry to hear that you had concerns on some staff but I ensure you as stated above we do strive for staff to ensure patients are treated equal and attend to patient's needs. Again, thank you for taking the time to keep us informed and I wish you good health for the future. Regards, Louise McIver, Patient Involvement Co ordinator