"Nerve conduction study and EMG"

About: Airedale General Hospital

I had an EMG where they stick needles into your muscles and pass electric currents through it...It was the most painful thing I have ever experianced in my life...It took 2 days for my arm to get back to normal and the experiance traumatised me slightly for a week after...I think a warning should be given to paitiants for such a painful procedure. Then I read on the NHS website..." Before having the procedure, an anaesthetic (painkilling) cream will be rubbed into your skin so the electrode does not cause any pain."...NOT IN MY CASE....Demand this cream people, I never saw any or was offered it and I really suffered for it. I would like an explanation as to why this hospital does not do what the main NHS site says it should,if someone from airdale reads this please explain. Otherwise a top hospital, best I have come across yet out of the 4 I know, staff are usually so nice and helpful...its just a shame they dont stock this cream.

Response from Airedale General Hospital

Thank you for your feedback about your nerve conduction study and EMG test. We are pleased that you have rated your visit with four stars and were satisfied with the hospital and staff as a whole. We are, however, sorry that you found the test unpleasant. We would strongly encourage you to contact our Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) team on 01535 294019 to discuss what happened.