"A+e very poor"

About: Royal Albert Edward Infirmary

I attended a+e at Wigan following an acute abcess in my gum/face which was increasing hourly. I had been advised by the emergency dental telephone help service as it was 1.00am. I checked into a + e at 1.30 and the reception from the staff member on the desk was very poor, abrupt and very unwelcoming. I sat for 4 hours in a wsiting room of 4 people only??!!! I was not acknowledged by a single member of staff regarding why the wait was so long In view of the small number of people present. I wasn't offered any painkillers despite the fact my gum and face was swelling considerably. I was eventfully seen at just gone 5.00am!! For a total of 5 minutes and discharged with metronidazole. My entire experience of the a+e department was one I do not wish to experience again. I have only ever been supportive of the other wards and departments, but a+e is lacking considerably in comparison.

Response from Susan Heighway, Patient Relations / PALS Manager , Patient Relations / PALS, Wrightington, Wigan and Leigh NHS Foundation Trust

Thank you for your posting following your attendance to the A&E Department in April. We were sorry to learn of your experience and would ask that you contact the Patient Relations Department to discuss your concerns. The Head of Nursing for Unscheduled Care would value the opportunity to investigate and provide a response to you. This would also provide an opportunity to explain the process for patients attending and the use of cubicles and waiting areas.