"Hit and miss"

About: Lister Hospital

I attend A&E on a fairly regular basis due to my mental health problems and epilepsy. Some of the staff can be fantastic, caring and efficient, sadly, I am always quite shocked when I have a positive experience at this hospital. I have been told by staff that 'there are more deserving patients to see' when I was in a lot of distress after a significant overdose and a psychotic episode, I have been told that I am 'faking seizures' despite being diagnosed with epilepsy by a neurologist. There has been sarcastic and nasty comments from staff. I am aware that I'm wasting resources because I have attended A&E quite a lot, but there is no need for them to be so nasty and rude. I have had many seizures in public and ambulance staff have always insisted that I am taken to Lister. I have literally cried and begged them not to take me to the Lister and I will go anywhere else but not there. I tend to discharge myself as soon as I arrive. I am writing this here because I have tried to make official complaints on several occasions and despite trying to chase up the complaints over a month or so, there has been no response and I have given up.

Response from Lister Hospital

Please don't give up - email us at generalenquiries.enh-tr@nhs.net and at least allow us to get this complaint sorted. Whatever the cause and whatever the reasons, everyone attending our hospital deserves to be treated with dignity and respect - we would like the chance to make sure that message gets across to everyone and your story may very well help us do that.