"Post - tropical screening"

About: Hospital For Tropical Diseases

I came back from a holiday in S.E. Asia in January with what seemed like severe jet-lag - fatigue, severe headaches, shivering, sweating etc - & was eventually referred at my request by my GP for one of these screenings as some of the symptoms kept recurring. On arrival I was seen by a nurse who said in her view I should be seen by a doctor - I had heard an argument going on in the waiting area about who should see someone for a post tropical screening but hadn't realised it was me! I described my symptoms to her & was told I 'looked too well' to have malaria & that in any case the doctor was refusing to see me. I did not have symptoms at the time which I understand means that the blood test which was carried was completely ineffective. I complained & asked to be given another appointment but was told my GP would have to make another referral. Whereas the website emphasises that illness experienced immediately after travel to developing countries should be checked out, the reality is clearly that this is not taken seriously when you turn up! Surely the whole point of a screening is to pick up on any problems, not to be picky about the quality etc of GP referrals. Very, very disappointed. The website should be taken down as it is completely misleading.

Response from Hospital For Tropical Diseases

Thank you for taking the time to feed back to us. We are very sorry to hear about your recent experience at the Hospital for Tropical Diseases. We would be grateful if you could contact our Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) via pals@uclh.nhs.uk or by calling 020 3447 3042 so that we can investigate this matter further.