"No pain relief in A and E with fractured hip"

About: Medway Maritime Hospital

I went by ambulance with a frail elderly friend to A and E. She had a very obviously fractured hip. She was ignored for ages. I repeatedly asked for someone to see her and give her some sort of pain relief. The male chart nurse who eventually sauntered over then disappeared fo ages. By this time my friend was desperate for the loo. She was in agony and was grey. The charge nurse eventually came back with two paracetamol tablets but no water to take it with. He seemed more concerned to have a chat and banter with the ambulance drivers than help my friend. Everything took ages and was done in a very offhand and unprofessional manner. Once my friend was admitted onto the orthopaedic ward things vastly improved but Aand E was a horrible experience mainly because of the casual attitude of the staff. I was really shocked as I had not expected her to have been treated like this.

Response from Medway Maritime Hospital

Thank you for your comments and please accept our apologies for your experience. We are continually trying to improve our service to patients and quality of our emergency assessments. If you would like to discuss your concerns with me directly then please contact me, John Fletcher Senior Matron for the emergency department on 01634 830000 x3847.