"I brought a friend with a football ..."

About: The Whittington Hospital

I brought a friend with a football injury to A and E. He turned out to have a broken ankle with considerable ligament damage. His treatment was I believe satisfactory and he is now playing again.

We arrived at about 1030 pm when they may well be very busy. However on a cold night he was obliged to wait outside for nearly 1/2 hr for a wheelchair. Reception repeatedly declined to offer any useful advice or assistance as to where I would find one, or admit me to parts of the hospital there might be one. Despite our assurances that on previous medical advice he should put no weight on the foot we were repeatedly encouraged to "hobble him in".

Obviously, someone should have responsibility for ensuring that wheelchairs are available at all times. There was no procedure to follow, just blunder about asking passers by have they seen one. Eventually someone pointed out the nurses desk or whatever it was, where a chair was called promptly down and we all got on with it. It it better now?

Response from The Whittington Hospital

Sorry that we did not respond to your comments sooner and for the delay you experienced.

Head of Patient Experience