"Occasionally I have problems getting to the clinic on time"

About: South Western Ambulance Service NHS Foundation Trust / Patient transport service (PTS)

(as a service user),

I have an appointment every Monday at the Granby House Clinic; the district nurses arrange the ambulance transport for me.

My treatment finished at 2: 45 but I was not collected till 4: 45. This is not the first time I’ve waited a couple of hours or more to be collected.

Mostly the problems are after my treatment but occasionally I have problems getting to the clinic on time or I the ambulance drops me off when the clinic is closed over the lunch period.

Can the service be improved?

Response from Sara Coburn, Patient Engagement Manager, Governance, South Western Ambulance Service Foundation Trust

Hi Iceberg882

Thank you for sharing your story.

Our Patient Transport Service is a predominately pre-planned service; we work to a schedule that has been planned out the previous day. This is to ensure that we utilise our transport as efficiently as possible and that everyone gets a vehicle that is suitable for their care needs and their mobility at the required time.

Most clinics are able to book their patient’s transport with a known appointment time and a return time based on how long they expect them to be at their appointment. We have a window of time within which to collect patients to take them home - this is 2 hours. However, there will be occassions when transport might be delayed slightly due to a number of reasons, for example earlier clinic over runs, traffic congestion or vehicle breakdowns.

I understand that waiting for transport home can be frustrating. However, please be assured that our staff will always do their very best to get you home as quickly and as safely as possible.

We would be very happy to look into the events surrounding your transport in more detail. If you would like us to do so, please contact our Patient Experience Team on either 01392 261 585 or patientexperience@swast.nhs and one of my colleagues will be very happy to help you further.

Thank you, again, for sharing your story with us.

Sara