"Agony in A&E"

About: Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother Hospital

I was taken to A&E as I was in so much pain. The receptionist was great and made sure I was seen in 10 minutes. However, the nurse I saw was rude and dismissive. I have never been in so much pain and I have a high pain threshold. I tried to tell the nurse this, but she walked away before I finished speaking! I requested pain relief and was given ibruprofen even though I had asthma. I said I couldn't take it as it would aggravate my asthma and I was given a look that could knock you over!! I wasn't offered any further pain relief for 2 hours even though I was clearly in a lot of pain and very distressed. Which is very unlike me. This was truly the worst experience of hospital care I have ever personally witnessed. I have never been more scared in all my life. I'm 58, and am now petrified of being admitted as an emergency to QEQM in the future.

Thank you for providing feedback, I am sorry that you were distressed about the apparent lack of pain control during your recent visit to A&E. I have asked out Nurse Consultant for pain management to undertake further training and development with our A&E staff to ensure everyone is aware and up to date.

Please do email me on Julie.pearce1@nhs.net, I would like to link you with the Matron responsible for the service to talk through your experience.