"Breast cancer follow up problems"

About: St Albans City Hospital / General surgery Watford General Hospital / General surgery

Operation September 2013. Told 3 monthly follow ups and a mammogram on anniversary of operation.

First follow up called twice by wrong name. Then told half my notes were missing.

Second follow up I had to ring for appointment as it was not automatically sent.

Third follow up due mid June 2014. Again I telephoned. Told there is a backlog and I am on a waiting list. I am on holiday from 12 July for 2 weeks and again 1 August for 1 week. Looks like St Albans Hospital could slip my appointment to September thus missing out one complete check up.

Response from Antony Tiernan, Director of Corporate Affairs and Communications, Communications and corporate affairs, West Herfordshire Hospitals NHS Trust

Thank you for taking the time to let us have feedback about your follow-up appointments at St Albans Hospital.

I would like to start by apologising for the problems you have had and that you have had to chase us for appointments. This is not what I would expect.

I would be really grateful if you could please contact our patient advice and liaison service (PALS) so that they can look into this for you and ensure that you receive your future appointments at the correct times (and without having to chase us).

Our PALS team can be contacted via email pals@whht.nhs.uk or by calling 01923 217 198.

Once again, please accept my sincere apologies for the difficulties you have faced.

Please do not hesitate to contact me if you need to. My email is antony.tiernan@whht.nhs.uk or you can call 01923 436 229. Alternatively, you can tweet me: @AntonyTiernan.

Response from Watford General Hospital

We are sorry to learn that your experience of our hospital was not as expected.

If you would like us to investigate this matter further on your behalf, please contact our colleagues in the Complaints Department on 01923 217866.