"Visit to opthalmology"

About: William Harvey Hospital / Ophthalmology

Today, I visited this department with my husband, who had been referred, with a possible retinal problem, by our GP. The service was amazingly prompt and the appointment ran to time, which was excellent.

The initial examination was thorough and my husband was made to feel that he, the patient, was central to the process. Following pupil-dilation procedure, he went for the retinal examination.

During the few minutes we were in the room, the consultant frequently discussed with the other doctor present issues relating to the care of other patients. He was clearly distracted, quite possibly through pressure of work.

Fortunately for us, my husband's problem was not critical and he was advised to take it easy for the next few weeks and to avoid strenuous activities. I was tempted at first to laugh at this, but on reflection I feel upset. I am not too sure how many men with advanced metastatic cancer do indulge in strenuous activities, but it was hardly a necessary injunction.

As we got up to leave, the consultant was already busy thinking about the next patient, leaving my husband to try to gain his attention by thanking him for his time.

Thank you for your feedback, I am sorry to see how distressing you must have found this experience. I would like the opportunity to feedback to the doctor involved, and so if you would like me to follow this through for you, please do email me on Julie.pearce1@nhs.net

Please do accept my apologies, this was not acceptable behaviour.