"Terrible attitude"

About: Victoria Hospital / Communicable Diseases

My father was a patient on a particular ward, whereby staff (specifically nursing staff) were very rude and unapproachable not too mention unfriendly.

Being a nurse myself I was horrified by the lack of compassion and lack of empathy. I was continuously made to feel that our presence was an inconvenience and was treated as such. There was no communication even when asked outright. I have never felt so insulted as I have done since my father's stay on that ward. I was also embarrassed and ashamed that I was in the same profession as these people.

Beautiful and very professional set up but a shame it did not have the staff to match!

Response from Louise Ewing, Patient Relations Manager, NHS Fife

Dear "insulted"

Thank you for taking the time to post your experience. I was deeply saddened to hear how you were left feeling when visiting your father in hospital. You are quite right to point out the importance of care, compassion and communication and also quite right to expect to see these in nursing staff. These are the fundamentals of nursing and your story demonstrates that you can be in the best environment, but that means nothing without human interactions.

We would be keen to tackle the behaviours you describe; however we could only do so with some further detail about the ward and the staff concerned. If you would be willing to share infomration, even on an anonymous basis then we could at least share your post with the staff in that area and seek a response. Please consider giving me a call on 01592 648153.

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience.