"Referred by GP following early miscarriage"

About: William Harvey Hospital

Referred to A&E following early miscarriage. Told to check in with letter and would be seen by registrar from Early Pregnancy Unit. Left to wait in corridor of triage while they filled in forms and found urine sample pot. Not even taken to a curtained off area. Details taken in full view of other staff and patients. Bloods taken, all fine, that nurse was very friendly and nice. Waited 3 hours for gynae in A&E waiting room all the while miscarrying. Doctor queried why I had been referred, rolled eyes at GP referral, was rough in examination, arrogant and argumentative, completely insensitive. Left with no scan, made to feel a time waster and hypochondriac. I didn't self-refer, I saw my GP and they spoke to William Harvey and I was told to go there! Horrendous experience and brought back memories of how previous registrars in Obstetrics have treated me during birth of my two children there. If there was any other hospital to go to for childbirth, I would.

Thank you for taking time to give us feedback and I am really sorry to read about your experience which much have been very distressing. The attitude and behaviour you describe falls short of the standards we set ourselves and for the values associated with providing caring, safe services which make a difference to patients.

I would like to investigate this on your behalf so that I can feedback to the member if staff involved. If you are in agreement with this approach, please email me your details on Julie.pearce1@nhs.net