"Struggling to get an appointment with CAMHS"

About: Nottingham North & East / Child and adolescent mental health services (CAMHS)

(as a parent/guardian),

We had an appointment with CAMHS with our Grandson who lives with us. The staff were really helpful and agreed to take on our Grandson and told us that it would be within six weeks. We were told if things started getting worse to give them a ring.

After about three or four weeks we rang them and left a message on the answer machine. The school also rang. We waited for a reply, but none came. Only to be informed by the school that they had a reply and CAMHS were now not coming until September.

We still haven't had contact since our appointment. Things are now getting that bad at school that my Grandson is in danger of being expelled. I know through experience that CAMHS are very busy, and we and the school are trying everything but to no avail.

Surely a response to our phone call is not to much to expect, especially when we have to explain to our son (who is profoundly deaf) why his son is not being seen and why he keeps getting into trouble at school. Our Grandson needs help now, not when it's too late and he ends up with psychosis like his Dad because nobody listens to those who know them best.

Response from Nottinghamshire Healthcare NHS Trust

I'm sorry that you have had diffiulty getting a response. Please could you call me on 01159560866 so that I can look into this on your behalf?

Yours sincerely

Rebecca Keating

Team Lead- Specialist CAMHS

Response from Paul Theed, Matron, Specialist services, Nottinghamshire Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust

Hello, I am really sorry about this please contact Rebecca and I know she will look in to it for you. please feel free to ring me if you continue to have problems.

Paul Theed