"Emergency Admission "

About: Royal Bournemouth General Hospital / Accident and emergency South Western Ambulance Service NHS Foundation Trust / Emergency ambulance

As a middle age man with Parkinson's Disease, when I stopped responding to my medications and my temperature climbed to nearly 40 C, paramedics took the decision to admit me to Casualty. By that time, I was semi-conscious.

Extensive investigations into the problem, ruled out the major concerns - sepsis and meningitits. Conitnual care throught the night kept any infection at bay and I was discharged the following day, when my temperature had reduced.

The Registrar rang me the next day to ensure I was recovering and to share results of blood tests.

Response from Sue Mellor, Patient Experience Lead, Royal Bournemouth & Christchurch Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust

Dear RMJ Parkinson

I am sorry to hear that you have had complications with your medication and became unwell. Its sounds like the paramedics that attended you made a swift and accurate assessment of your condition and the need to bring you to our Emergency Department.

I am pleased to hear that you were examined thoroughly to rule out sepsis and meningitis as this must have been a very worrying time for you and your family.

It is also reassuring to hear that the doctor made a follow up call to check on your progress and update you of the blood results.

I hope that your medications are now working properly and you are making a good recovery from your experience.

As with all our patient feedback I will share your comments on to the Department you attended as it can be used to encourage and educate staff during their staff meetings.

Sue Mellor