"I went to A and E with a suspected ..."

About: St Helier Hospital

I went to A and E with a suspected fractured arm and was in great pain. I was immediately seen and offered something for the pain. My x- ray and diagnosos was quick. At all stages staff were helpful. I was referred quickly to the fracture clinic. I am now having good quality physio.

My only concern is that the waiting room for the fracture clinic is a corridor. It is also an emergency clinic which means you can wait a long time, even if you have an appointment. In cold weather sitting there is drafty and this is not helpful especially for the elderly. Do all hospitals combine their emergency and appointment fracture clinics?

Response from St Helier Hospital

I am pleased to hear that the experience that you had in A&E was positive; and that your follow up care in the fracture clinic and the physiotherapy department has also been good.

We are currently looking at moving part of the fracture clinic waiting area across the corridor into the current discharge lounge, which hopefully will be more comfortable for patients.

Most trusts do combine the emergency and follow up fracture clinics in some way.

The fracture clinic that runs every morning mainly deals with emergency appointments that have come through A&E over the previous days. The amount of time a patient needs for their appointment can vary, especially if they need to make a decision about whether or not to have an operation.

I do hope this information helps and that you are recovering well.