"Long waits at Medway accident and emergency dept"

About: Medway Maritime Hospital / Accident and emergency

I attended late evening in early June, had chest pains told wait would be hours.

I had some medication, went for chest xray, collapsed and had to call for help. Bad reaction to tablets, was discharged with antibiotics and told an appt would be sent for chest clinic.

The waiting times were terrible especially for serious things and very young children 4 hours or more. Also the parking charges were terrible considering these are mainly emergencies. There should be a cap on times in both instances.

Also they have still not sent through the details of my visit to my GP, a whole week later, after telling me to go for a blood test in one week, how when they do not know what it is for?

Response from Medway NHS Foundation Trust

Thank you for your feedback.

please accept my apologies that the service you received was less than satisfactory whilst in the Accident and Emergency Department.

We have been experiencing an increase in numbers of patients using our service which does have an impact on our waiting times, however that should not distract us from caring appropriately for the needs of individuals.

If you would like to discuss this further then please contact the Patient Experience Team who will be happy to assist in any way that they can on 01634 825004.

Response from Medway Maritime Hospital

Thank you for providing feedback on your experiences and we are sorry that we have not been able to live up to your expectations. Unfortunately, with the information that you have provided we are unable to look into your individual case. Please can you contact our PALS team so that we can do this. You can contact the PALS team between 9am and 5pm Monday to Friday, by phone on 01634 825004 or 01634 830000 x5793 or by email at Pals@medway.nhs.uk