"Delays at dermatology clinic"

About: Crosshouse Hospital / Dermatology

I live on the isle of Arran. The ferry reaches mainland at 9.20 am. I left my home at 6.30 this for an appointment at 10.45 at Crosshouse hospital [dermatology]. I arrived at 10.30 and was seen by consultant at 12.10.

A nurse altered the clinic delay times on several occasions, none making sense. Once it was altered to 20 mins and I pointed out that it was already 35 mins late, so she simply changed it to 35 mins. One man much earlier started to complain and was given a voucher for coffee, the rest of us were ignored. I was not impressed by the attitude of the nursing staff, I found them abrupt rude and supercilious.

The consultant was charming and did their best to mollify me.

The whole situation is unacceptable. The hospital is run for the good of the patients, not the staff.

Dear Disappointed Lady,

I do apologise for your experience at the Dermatology clinic. I often come over to Arran both to visit and to deliver training; it can be a long day at the best of times.

Sometimes clinic delays can be unavoidable but everyone should be treated with the same consideration and courtesy. There will always be a potential for unavoidable delays but politeness and kindness can go a long way to helping people to cope with them.

When we are very busy and under pressure, we may come across in ways that we would prefer not to. In order to deliver patient centred care we need to look at ways to be better and there is always room for improvement.

Thank you so much for bringing this to our attention, I will pass it to the appropriate managers for their consideration.

Kind regards,

Eunice

• disappointed lady thinks this response is helpful

Response from NHS Ayrshire and Arran

Dear Disappointed Lady,

I must apologize if you felt that you were not respected at the clinic by nursing staff, this should not have been the case.

Within the Maxwell Suite, several clinics run simultaneously, with different staff at each clinic. Unfortunately as highlighted by Ms Goodwin, there are many reasons for potential delays at clinics. It is the responsibility of the nursing staff to apologize & announce which clinics are delayed & document this on the information board. The member of staff whom you spoke to may not have been at the specific clinic you were attending but should have checked with her colleagues to check the exact time delay before updating the notice board.

I have highlighted this issue to my nursing team and asked that they keep their patients updated during the clinic.

I hope that your consultation was beneficial and that if you have any further appointments with the department that you do not experience this situation again.

Alison Neil

Charge Nurse

Dermatology

• disappointed lady thinks this response is helpful

Update posted by disappointed lady (the patient)

Thank you for your responses while they were helpful your excuses are no more than I would have expected.

Dear Disappointedlady,

I am sorry you have felt the responses were helpful but only excuses. Can I ask if there is anything you would like to see happen? What do you think would help?

Kind regards,