"Heart attack got me from fat to fit"

About: Northern General Hospital / Cardiology

I had a heart attack in May 2013. I weighed 17. 5 stone, I now weigh 14. 5 stone. Here is my story so far:

I woke up one Sunday in May and went down the stairs. I had my morning cigarette, I sat down on the sofa and started to get pains in my arms. Within a couple of minutes I could not lift my arms up and I was sweating and feeling sick. My wife called the emergency services they did an ECG on me and determined I was having a heart attack. I was taken to the ambulance and taken straight to Sheffield Northern General hospital. I was only there a couple of minutes and I was defibrillated as my heart was in trouble.

I was taken into surgery and 2 stents were put in one heart and during the procedure I was defibrillated a further 3 times. I was the taken to a ward and monitored for a few days.

During this time, I thought hard about my lifestyle and decided I would change. I stopped smoking and started eating healthy and started going to the gym. Within a short period of time I started to feel a lot better so I continued to push myself and now one year on the results are staggering. I am fitter than I have ever been in all my life,

Response from Senior Patient Partnership Co-ordinator, Sheffield Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust

Thank you for taking the time to give us your comments on your experience with Sheffield Teaching Hospitals Emergency Services and Cardiology department. Staff always welcome feedback and I will ensure your comments are passed on to those involved.

I hope you continue to make a good recovery following your surgery and congratulations with your good progress.