"I have no idea what will happen next"

About: Hairmyres Hospital / Trauma & orthopaedics Wishaw General Hospital / Trauma & orthopaedics

Over the last four years I have been attending the Podiatry & orthopeadic services in NHSL with a longstanding very painful condition on my foot. Surgery was mentioned as an option on my first ortho consultation with a surgeon four years ago but after discussion and taking into consideration my lifestyle. occupation etc, I opted for conservative management.

However over time the symptoms have worsened and it has become apparent that I need further treatment in the form of day case surgery.

Unfortunately because I live in the catchment area for Wishaw General, I cannot be operated on in Lanarkshire, despite the fact that there is an experienced foot & ankle surgeon who practices in Hairmyres Hospital and I am more than willing to travel.

I was so surprised to hear this, I left the consultation without getting clarity around the reasons for this,

Ironically, I have been employed with the NHS for over 30 years and it has been suggested that the condition I suffer from is very common in Health care workers as we spend most of our working lives on our feet.

At present I have no idea what will happen next, but I would like to know now why is there a restriction on treatment depending on where we live, that does not seem equitable or person centered.

Response from David Hume, Director of Hospital Services, Hairmyres Hospital, NHS Lanarkshire

Dear Juney,

Thank you for this post. What you have been told is not entirely accurate and if you would like to phone Paul Clarke, Service Manager at Hairmyres Hospital on 01355584665, he will obtain some further details from you and clarify the further options available to you.

I am sure that Paul will be able to help.

Regards