"cleanliness and safety"

About: Queen's Medical Centre

I feel very strongly about the lack of cleanliness on the ward that I unfortunately stayed on. I was too scared to sleep one night because one of the patients (who did have special needs) had been wandering around the ward and became very agitated. She had a stoma which she pulled off her and dripped faeces everywhere. This was just wiped up with tissue and left so you could see where it had dripped. The toilets weren't cleaned the whole 3 days that I was there either. I was disgusted with the cleanliness of this hospital and hopefully I will never have to stay here again! The nursing care was excellent and I have no complaints at all about the quality of care but they were over stretched. The incident relating to the lady with the stoma had 4 nursing staff, a doctor and her own 2 daughters and they still didn't control the situation enough for all the other patients to feel safe. That really isn't their job and she should have either been in a ward that helped her other issues as well or she should have had her own carer with her. When I actually left the hospital I was given just paracetamol for the pain and had to go to my G.P the next day for more antibiotics and stronger pain killers because I still had an infection. I wasn't happy with my stay at all!

Response from Acting Patient Information Officer, Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust

We are very sorry to hear that this was your experience of our hospital and the incident you describe involving another patient on your ward. We would like to know more about this incident, particularly which of our wards it was that this happened on. Please get in touch with us by email to nuhcommunications@nuh.nhs.uk if you would like to talk further to us. We appreciate you bringing this to our attention.