"Recent delivery at the PRU"

About: Princess Royal University Hospital (Orpington)

I gave birth to my second daughter on the 29th May 2014 following being admitted from the Daily Assessment Unit / Consultant. I had pre-eclampsia and so the decision was made to break my waters at 37+5. (No issues when pregnant with my first child) After a slow start and poor agency midwife, the rest of the care, treatment and support from the midwives and doctors that were with me was fantastic. My midwife was absolutely brilliant and I had every trust and confidence in her. Even when after the delivery I suffered a PPH and everything got very scary and complicated the level of care and support from the doctors and midwives was un-beatable. My only criticism is of the awful agency midwife we started off with; who didn't know where anything was - I would dispute how helpful this really is to the hospital - having someone work there who isn't familiar with the place and also how understaffed the place is. I really feel that the midwives have their work cut out and that people should appreciate the truely amazing job that they actually do.

Response from Princess Royal University Hospital

It is very reassuring to hear that medical and midwifery staff were responsive and supportive in delivering care when you experienced complications in your recent delivery. I can offer some explanation and positive feedback in relation to your comment about the use of agency midwifery staff. On 1 October 2013 when Kings took over managerial responsibility for the Princess Royal site we inherited a midwifery staffing establishment with a significant number of vacant posts. Since then we have had two recruitment events, one in January 2014 where we succeeded in recruiting 7 new midwives and again in May when we have have made a further 13 offers to successful candidates. The recruitment events will be ongoing until we reach our desired permanent establishment of midwifery staff.