"A wonderful result. Thank you, all at St Marks."

About: St Mark's Hospital (Harrow)

After attempting to control my galloping Ulcerative Colitis with medication since early 2010, the reassuring and highly competent consultant gently and firmly recommended that I have my entire large intestine removed, and offered a reconstructive (J-pouch) procedure. All the doctors were very informative and supportive, and I chose to go ahead with the colostomy operation, in February 2012. The final reconstruction was delayed (I got whooping couch!) to March 2013, and it's now a year and a bit since the final surgery. At every point, I was supported, reassured, encouraged and looked after, and I find it hard to find words to express the enormity of my thanks to the surgeons, consultants and nurses who have transformed my life. I'm now fighting fit and have more energy and enthusiasm than I've had for 20 years. Thank you, and long may you continue to perform near-miracles that have enabled people like me to get my life back.

Response from St Mark's Hospital

I was delighted to learn that you were so pleased with your experience when in St Marks and will, of course, pass on your very kind comments to all the staff concerned. I know that the doctors, the nurses and the many other people who contribute to the care of patients, will greatly appreciate your kind words. It makes such a difference to morale to know that efforts have been appreciated.