"Wonderful care in Mount McMaster ward for my..."

About: Kent & Canterbury Hospital

My mother died today after 11 days in Mount McMaster ward in Kent & Canterbury hospital. I cannot praise the ward manager and tow of the Sisters enough. The ward is very clean, and every single person working there - from the people who serve the teas to the lady who took messages on the telephone, to the student nurses and doctors and the nursing staff, are kind and caring, and we got the impression that the teamwork was very good. There was a very positive atmosphere and when we needed to talk to anyone there was always someone who would take the time to explain things to us. My mother kept commenting on how kind everybody was. When my Dad and I came in one day whilst they were washing my mum we could hear how gentle and respectful they were in the way they talked to her. They cared about her spiritual welfare too, and, knowing she was a devout Roman Catholic, encouraged us to get the priest to come to see her. My mother has been in hospital a lot these last years. We have had some very bad experiences, and I always dreaded her next hospital admission. A few years ago I had to wander around corridors in Ashford, for example, desperately looking for staff, and meeting totally unenthusiastic agency staff who knew nothing. I know she and my father watched lots of worrying documentaries and were very scared of her going to hospital. This experience could not have been more different. If every NHS ward had as good a manager and nurse as the Sister and her team, then nobody would worry about being admitted. I cannot overstate how grateful I am.

Thank you for taking time to provide us with feedback at this difficult time for you. I am so glad we were able to care for your mother well during her final days. I will ensure that the team see your comments. Do take care, and thank you.