"My mothers stay in Southend Hospital"

About: Southend Hospital / General surgery

My mother was recently a patient of Mr Dworkin and stayed for several days in the Hockley ward, and I am writing, on her behalf also, to pass on our grateful thanks to Mr Dworkin and the staff.

My mother was terrified of being in the hospital as her experience of being in a hospital was limited to a stay in a private hospital for two days. To her the thought of a week or more in a General Hospital filled her with dread, but from minute one, the staff could not have been more helpful or welcoming. Mr Dworkin and his surgical team treated my mother with the utmost respect and patience, constantly reassuring her prior to her operation.

After the operation, the ward staff were exceptionally kind and thoughtful, to the extent of covering her up with her dressing gown whilst she was asleep as the nurse was worried she might be cold. Every day I visited my mother she told me how she felt at ease with being in hospital, and to some extent was actually enjoying the experience. Throughout her stay she was encouraged to get out of bed and walk, and when she left the hospital she constantly remarked that she felt better than she had for months, which was due mostly to the success of the operation, but also down to the treatment she received after the event.

The health service, and Southend Hospital, is much maligned, but the quality of the staff can never be in doubt.

On behalf of my mother, and the family, I would like to offer my sincere thanks to everyone concerned

Response from Steve McEwen, Patient Experience Lead, Patient Liaison, Southend University Hospital NHS Foundation Trust

Dear Jonners87,

Many thanks for your feedback. I am really pleased to learn of your mother's great experience here at the hospital. Having an operation is never nice and I know Mr Dworkin and the team on Hockley ward will be thrilled by your warm thanks which I will ensure are passed on to them.

Please give your mother all our best and good wishes for a full recovery from her surgery.

Response from Southend Hospital

Thank you for your post relating to care for your Mother on Hockley ward, I am pleased to hear she was looked after and staff took good care of her. It is excellent to hear this feedback and we appreciate you taking the time to contact us to share your experience. I will ensure all of this feedback is sent to management to pass onto relevant staff. Wishing your Mother well for the future.