"A + E visit"

About: Royal Bolton Hospital / Accident and emergency

My elderly mum was taken to A + E on 19th May after having 'a funny turn'. Even though the unit was very busy, with stretchers queuing in the corridor, we were kept informed and the paramedics kept checking on mum. Once we got through to the cubicles, the treatment and attention was excellent. Everyone who came to check on mum, from the doctors to the person taking her to x-ray, introduced themselves and spoke directly to mum rather than to my dad, my sister and me. My mum has Alzheimer's and dementia and was treated with compassion and respect at all times. I think that the presence of a Matron has made a lot of difference to the unit. She was constantly walking round, unobtrusively checking everything and helping with all manner of 'jobs' - from moving bits of rubbish, to helping take my mum's bed through the unit on the way to x-ray. Very professional, and a huge credit to the department.

Response from Heather Edwards, Head of Communications, Bolton NHS Foundation Trust

Thank you for posting this. We're so pleased that you were happy with the care that your mother received. I have passed your comments on to the relevant staff who are grateful for your appreciation.