"Lost in the system"

About: East Surrey Hospital

My father arrived at East Surrey A&E by ambulance transfer from Langley Green hospital at 9pm, I dont live locally and so was contacting East Surrey to find out about his condition. At midnight after several calls and my 80 year father being in A&E for 3 hrs I was told he was being transferred to a ward for the night - good news! i was told to ring back following morning, did so at 07.20am only to find he hadnt been sent to a ward and that they could not trace him; told he was in assessment area - he wasnt, told he might be in dispatch - he wasnt, told he had gone home - he most certainly hadnt. Eventually told he had been transferred back to Langley Green at 2am (they think). What is the point in having a computer tracking system if not updated? Not happy about an old confused man being transferred at 2am (possibly) and certainly not happy that East Surrey could not track down what they had done with him. The fact that i had been told he was going to a ward for the night and then he didnt send him there was factually incorrect and one wonders how such a mistake can be made. This is a wholly unsatisfactory way to deal with the concerns and requests for information from a patients family..

Response from Tasha Gardner, Communications Manager, Marketing and Communications, Surrey and Sussex Healthcare NHS Trust

Dear Anonymous

kind regards

Tasha

Response from East Surrey Hospital

Dear Anonymous I was really sorry to read about the problems you had in trying to get information about your father. If you would like to get in touch with me and give me some more information I will try and find out what happened. My email address is Tasha.Gardner@sash.nhs.uk kind regards Tasha