"Good people working in bad conditions"

About: Southend Hospital

Treated for an eye injury in the A&E and ophalmology dept. The wait in A&E was the usual interminable hour on hour, but as I was in A&E at 7am on a Saturday morning I was thankful that I did not arrive midday or later. The staff were all very helpful and polite, and did their best to get me moving to more appropriate treatment even thought the eye injury suite was unavailable. When I evenuatlly got referred to the optho unit, the nuses and consultants were all very welcoming and really put me at my ease at a time when I was pretty damn scarred that I was going to lose an eye. The consultant was receiving almost constant calls from A&E and while I could tell that he was frustrated, he remained polite and professional while he treated my injury. I returned the following day (Sunday) and again, the staff were very polite and patient. Yes, they are understaffed and under-resourced and so they are stretched to the limit which causes long waits. It was evident in A&E that there was a triage regime in place which is right and proper - though I was scarred that I was going to lose an eye, my injury was not life-threatening and the staffs' goal is to save lives, not pander to my self-pity. Overall - good people struggling hard to do their jobs under bad conditions. Well done and thanks to all those who were part of the excellent care that has reinstated my vision.

Response from Southend University Hospital NHS Foundation Trust

Dear Chris

Steve McEwen

Patient Experience Lead

Response from Southend Hospital

Many thanks for your kind comments and I hope you have recovered from your injury. We appreciate that at times there have been longer waits than we would like in our A&E department and our team are working hard to keep these to an absolute minimum. I am glad that the staff treated you well and I will ensure that your feedback is passed to both the A&E and Eye departments. Steve McEwen Patient Experience Lead