"Need to learn basic care"

About: Princess Royal University Hospital (Orpington)

My mother admitted due to fall and broken hip. She is 92 years old. She was left on trolley in A&E from 16.40 until 03.00 next day, waiting for a bed. They prep'd her for op at 08.00 that morning (having nothing to eat since being in A&E. Then cancelled the op. Not fed until 17.00 that day. Told to drink lots of fluids, nurses moved the bed trolley so that she can't reach glass (still happens) airbed leaks, so they need to blow it up each morning, when they remember. They even forget to pass out painkillers to all the patients in the ward. My mother smokes, has done since she was 14, bit late to give up now. She is promised nicotine patches, she has had 2 in a week, nurses can't be bothered to go get them. This is the worst hospital around. Nurses supposed to have degrees now - but certainly not in patient care. This place is an absolute disgrace. I will be making a formal complaint about my mothers treatment.

Response from Princess Royal University Hospital

We are very concerned to hear of your mother's experience in the Emergency Department and on the ward. Please can we ask you to contact our Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) to discuss the concerns you have regarding your mother's care. Please contact them at kch-tr.PALSkent@nhs.net or phone 01689 863 252.