"Neurologist, are you sure?"

About: Western General Hospital / Neurology

It is always very reassuring to be told by a Consultant Neurologist that your MRI scan of your lower back is absolutely normal and that "it is nothing to do with your neurological symptoms".

However, when it transpires that the Neurologist in question was either incapable of reading the report that accompanied the MRI, or was too busy to notice the section of said report which reads, "double disc prolapse, L4-L5 and L5-S1". That is lower back hernia to the lay man, not exactly a massive leap to figure out why there were associated neurological symptoms.

Needless to say my experience at the Edinburgh Western Infirmary was less than satisfying. As soon as I walked in and it was apparent that I did not have Parkinson's or MND/MG, the consultant seemed to lose all interest, did a cursory neurological examination, then proceeded to insult and subsequently referred me to another Medical Discipline.

I am extremely glad I did not pay for this service, however I am saddened to see that the practice of arrogant and draconian medicine is still active in a 21st Century NHS.

Response from Dougie Brownlie, Patient Advice and Support Service (PASS) Marketing Officer, Citizens Advice Scotland

Hi Edge17,

I have seen your post and noticed that there hadn’t been a response as yet by the NHS. I am sorry to read of your experience and that you were upset by the attitude of a consultant, so I thought I would let you know about the Patient Advice and Support Service (PASS) which is an independent service which provides free, accessible and confidential information, advice and support to patients, their carers and families about NHS healthcare in Scotland.

You can access this service from any citizens advice bureau in Scotland by going to a bureau in person, or by telephone. The number is in the phone book. You can find more information about the service at www.patientadvicescotland.org.uk

We have specialist advisers in every health board area in Scotland and who will give advice on health related issues including the policies relating to staff attitudes. If required, a specialist adviser can meet you and work with you to draft a written letter to the relevant NHS area which will then raise this issue with the NHS. The adviser can also explain the NHS complaints procedure and support you if you are asked to attend a meeting with the NHS.

Hope this helps

Dougie Brownlie

PASS Marketing Officer

Response from Customer Relations and Feedback Team, NHS Lothian

Dear Edge17

First I would like to apologise for the delay in responding. I am extremely sorry to read your experience. If you would like to send your details to the Customer Relations and Feedback Team we can fully investigate. The customer Relations and Feedback Team can be contacted on 0131 536 3370, email craft@nhslothian.scot.nhs.uk or by writing to the Customer Relations and Feedback Team at Waverley Gate, 2-4 Waterloo Place, Edinburgh, EH1 3EG.