"A&E"

About: Queen Elizabeth Hospital (Gateshead)

I visited A&E early in the morning whilst suffering a miscarriage. Understandably this was a physically and emotionally painful time but the nursing staff and gynecology doctor that reviewed me were kind and helpful. I was seen promptly, the nurse kept me updated about what was happening, the doctor explained sensitively but thoroughly about what was happening and the nurse ensured I received analgesia as soon as the doctor had prescribed them. Only thing that was upsetting was that after the nurses had handed over to the new day shift, I was abruptly told by the day staff that I could go, despite still waiting for analgesia and my venflon to be removed. I understand that the dept was busy and didn't want to stay there too long, but felt a little 'kicked out' while still coming to terms with some bad news. Overrall though, I had a good experience and would return to the QEH in future, if required.

Response from Queen Elizabeth Hospital

We're so sorry to hear that you had a mixed experience when you came to our A&E department, especially at such a difficult time. We'll be sure that your comments are passed on to the A&E department staff, so they can be reminded of the impact of their behaviour on patients.