About: Fairfield General Hospital Fairfield General Hospital Bury BL9 7TD
Posted by Julie
My 20 year old daughter accidentally electrocuted herself and was taken to Fairfield A&E by ambulance after being advised to do so by extremely professional paramedics. I followed in my car and arrived after the ambulance to find my daughter lay across the chairs in the walk in part of A&E crying with pains in her chest and feeling sick. When I asked why she hadn't been taken to a cubicle we were told they didn't have any. She was then seen by a very grumpy triage nurse who didn't have a empathetic bone in her body and offered no reassurance despite my daughter being clearly very distressed and in pain. After taking her blood pressure, pulse and temparature she was told to go back into the waiting room and wait to be called for an ECG. The waiting room was like some third world clinic you see on documentaries. It was dirty, with a broken drinks machine and full of some very sick people and the usual idiots who think its ok to turn up at a hospital with a sprained ankle. We were then called by another nurse who had a dreadful attitude and when I went to join my daughter she told me I might want to stay in my seat so I didn't lose it as my daughter would be coming back to sit and wait to see the doctor. My daughter wanted me to be with her so I had to be very firm and joined her. As we reached the cubicle the nurse tried to close the curtain in my face until I said can I come in please to which she responded " we'll that's up to her" My daughter said of course its my mum. She then reluctantly let me in and shoved me into the corner and said " sit there" At no point during the procedure did she explain what was happening The nurse told her to go back to the waiting room and I asked if the ECG was ok and she responded absolutely fine. We asked how long the wait was and she said 2 or 3 hours. My daughter said as the ECG was fine she didn't want to wait, the nurse said she hadn't said it was fine and meant the print out was OK! Bizarre, why would we want to know if the print out was OK, she denied saying the ECG was OK and there could be 100 things wrong with it but she couldn't say what. We left. This place is appalling with miserable unsympathetic staff who made my daughter feel as though she was wasting their time. Having read the responses to other less than positive comments I am expecting to be referred to PALS which is the stock answer. I pray we never need to go to this hovel again.