"Operation Cancellation"

About: Basildon University Hospital

I was due heart bypass surgury on the 10th April 2014 at 1600 hours on the 10th I was informed by the sister that due to theatres having to work all the prvious night , operation before mine causing some problems and an emergency waiting for surgury. As mine was to take 5 hours I was told to go home and a new date would be sent to me. I had had my pre meds and was ready for action. I drove home and I do not even remeber this, they just wanted to get rid of me. Have they only 1 theatre? Is there only 1 surgeon on duty or are you running so close to the wind that any deviation causes problems.? Unfortunately I have lost all confidence in the hospital, even though I have a new date for surgery.

Response from Basildon University Hospital

We are very sorry that you are not happy with the service you received from Basildon & Thurrock Hospital. We encourage you to contact the Patient, Advice and Liaison Service where you will be able to talk to someone who can provide you answers to your questions. The PALS office can be reached on pals@btuh.nhs.uk or 01268 524900 ext 4441. We will also forward your comments to the cardiology department.