"Great care. Less than great outpatient waiting..."

About: The Heart Hospital

I have been in the care of the lovely staff at the Heart Hospital for about 6 years for monitoring of a bicuspid aortic valve. The doctors, registrars, technicians and nurses have always been professional, friendly and approachable. My issues are always addressed, my questions answered and my health is always seen as the priority. It is unfortunate however, that the overall experience has often been tainted by the inability of the Outpatient Clinic to keep to scheduled booked appointments. I consistently book the first appt of the day (9/9:30) and always wait at least 45 mins, if not over an hour, until I am seen - I simply can't understand how the team run late first thing of the day. Today I have a 12:50 appt with the cardiac surgeon and after two hours had to leave to return to work as he was still in theatre. This is no way to treat patients; there was no communication of the delay, how long he would be, etc. I accept the are emergencies and delays, but this issue is so prolific and ongoing that it really needs to be addressed by the hospital.

Response from The Heart Hospital

Thank you for taking the time to feed back to us. We are very sorry to hear about your recent experience of delays in the Outpatient Clinic. We would be grateful if you could contact our Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) via pals@uclh.nhs.uk or by calling 0845 155 5000 ext 73042 so that we can investigate this matter further.