"Pain Treatment"

About: Wishaw General Hospital / Trauma & orthopaedics

Last week I underwent major surgery ( Total Knee Replacement (L) ) at Wishaw General Hospital. It is well known that such an operation leaves the Patient with lots of pain in and around the surgical site. After the Operation I was closely monitored by a member the pain management team. On this occasion I received extremely good advise and the appropriate medication administered. The member of the team was a young Woman called Sharon Anderson who impressed me with her in depth knowledge of this vast subject. Well done Sharon.

All services were excellent, but there was a delay in the provision of medication on discharge.

Response from Gillian Corbett, Chief of Nursing Services, Wishaw General Hospital, NHS Lanarkshire

Dear Brucey Boy,

Thank you for taking the time to share your positive experience, Sharon Anderson will be delighted to hear how impressed you were and I will pass on your comments to her.

I would be keen to understand the delay in your discharge medication in more detail, to allow us to improve services. I would be grateful if you could contact me on 01698 366002 to discuss this further.

I hope you have made a good recovery from your surgery.

Kind Regards,

Gillian Corbett

Dear Brucey Boy,

Thanks for making contact with me, nice to chat to you today and hear you are making a good recovery and how pleased you were with your care and treatment. As discussed I will look at our prescription turn around times as a way of making some improvements to our discharge experience.

Kind Regards,

Gillian Corbett

Update posted by Brucey Boy (the patient)

It's Brucey Boy again.

Today I spoke on the telephone with Gillian Corbett relative to my recent experience at Wishaw General Hospital. I found Gillian to be a plain speaker with good communication skills. By plain speaking I mean she came across as one who has the ability to speak at any level.

My last message was to thank the pain management team but I would also wish to thank the nursing staff of ward 14 who,without exception, displayed total professionalism, caring and kindness to all patients. Patient care was undoubtedly their goal. I have had lots of experience with members of nursing Staff within the N.H.S and have nothing but praise for all of them. I get really frustrated when I hear people complaining about N.H.S service in Scotland, What do they require or expect I ask?.

Incidentally I have written to Senior Management at the Hospital expressing my thanks.

Regards