"Excellent care but more ward staff in evenings..."

About: North Devon District Hospital

I spent 5 days on a ward at NDDH last year following self-admission into A&E. What had begun as tonsilitis had progressed quickly into something far more serious. Staff recognised the issues quickly and I was up on a ward by evening with strong antibiotics and the best painkillers money can buy! I had an excellent experience overall- what I could eat of the food later in the week was mostly good, cleanliness of the ward was excellent and the care I received from the day nurses in particular was second to none. The only complaint I would make? The nurses, who do such a fantastic job, were very understaffed overnight and- as they, understandably, had far more dependent "guests" to look after were often very busy resulting in late medication (one night up to 3 hours late). What was my first ever visit as an inpatient to any hospital was made as pleasant as possible and though I hope to never have to stay again, would certainly have no issue in doing so at NDDH.

Dear Patient

Thank you for taking the time to add your feedback to the website. I am very pleased to see that your first visit, as an inpatient, to hospital was so positive in most respects.

As your stay was last year I thought you would be interested to know that we have made some changes to staffing, since your visit. All the staffing on the NDDH wards has been reviewed after a recent audit of patient dependency. This includes the day and night shifts - and the larger wards have all had their Registered Nursing establishment increased for overnight staffing.

Following the review the Trust is investing £1.8m to employ more than 55 nurses and healthcare assistants, which will mean more nurses on duty, both day and night.

Whilst it will be a challenge recruiting more nurses, the intention is to recruit 30 full-time equivalent registered nurses and more than 25 full-time equivalent healthcare assistants. This process has already started and is now fully underway with newly nurses and healthcare assistants recently having been appointed.

I am sure you will agree this is a very positive step in ensuring more nursing care on the wards for North Devon inpatients, and will be pleased that extra nurses have already been put in place on the wards overnight.

Response from North Devon District Hospital

Dear Anonymous Thank you for leaving such detailed feedback. The teams are delighted to hear that you were so pleased with the service and we completely understand your reluctance to come back! Kind regards Katherine