"Minor Injuries Western General -Self-Harm"

About: Western General Hospital / Minor Injuries Clinic

I have been under a lot of stress recently, and unfortunately have turned to self-harm in order to cope.

I had to attend the Minor Injuries department at the Western General Hospital in Edinburgh in order to receive treatment for my self-harm injuries.

I just wanted to say thank you so much to the nurse who carried out the treatment. I WISH I caught her name but I just can't remember it.

The nurse was excellent - she didn't make a big deal out of the fact it was self-harm at all. Some medical staff can be unpleasant to those who present with self-harm injuries, but the nurse could not have been further from that. She even told me about her niece who had a similar problem, which I found very comforting.

There were a couple of cuts that required attention - one that needed stitches and another that only needed steristrips. I was nervous about the stitches because of the injection, but the nurse was lovely, explained every step, made sure I was completely numb before carrying on and even said that she would do it another way if she could but it really did need stitches.

There were also a number of smaller cuts that probably could have healed without further treatment, but the lovely nurse glued them for me so that the healing process would be faster and I would have less scarring.

While doing the stitches the nurse also chatted to me about general things, about her family and shifts etc, which I found comforting and relaxing.

The loveliest thing about it all was that as I was leaving, she said "You know where we are if you need us". I could have wept I was so grateful. That one statement honestly had a huge impact on me - there was someone there who didn't think I was stupid or attention-seeking and would listen without judgement.

I wish I knew her name so that I could give more of a personal thank you, but this will have to do.

Brilliant care, I am so grateful.

Response from Customer Relations and Feedback Team, NHS Lothian

Dear GratefulPatient91

Apologies for the delay in replying and thank you for your feedback. Patient experience is vital to us and I was pleased to hear of your good experience.