"Visit to A&E with ankle injury."

About: Peterborough City Hospital

I initially injured my ankle three weeks ago. I did not immediately seek medical assisstance instead choosing to self care to see if my symptoms of pain and swelling resolved. Unfortunately they were not resolving and yesterday I twisted the ankle again. I attended the A&E department to exclude any bony injury. I picked my time of attendance carefully to avoid peak times. On arrival I was greeted in an unfriendly manner by the receptionist who said I should have attended my GP Practice. I am not aware that my GP practice has an xray facility. Furthermore it is my understanding that my GP does not have a contract to provide a minor injuries service. I would be interested to know what medical training reception staf receive in order that can make an assessment of the most appropriate facility for a patient to receive care and treatment. My care did not improve once I was seen by the clinical staff. My ankle was not properly examined and in fact my tights remained on throughout my entire visit including during xray. I am fairly sure that it not possible to assess bruising, swelling, skin turgor and bony landmarks through thick opaque tights. Fortunately I did not have a fracture, but my experience left me feeling an inconvenience.

Response from Lesley Crosby, Deputy Chief Nurse, Peterborough and Stamford Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust

I am sorry that you were dissatisfied with your experience. We try to encourage patients whose injuries are not emergencies to attend the minor injuries unit in Thorpe Road. I am sorry however if the receptionist did not explain this to you in a supportive manner.