"Bad experience with Colonoscopy"

About: Fairfield General Hospital / General surgery

I had an abnormal result on the Cancer Screening Programme for Colon Cancer. I attended a local hospital for a colonoscopy.

The nurses could not find a vein to start the sedation, they had several attempts, the consultant then grabbed my arm quite roughly, clearly annoyed, stabbed my hand with a couple of failed attempts before finding a vein on the back of my hand. They didn't speak at all during this time.

The sedation proved not to be effective, I was in absolute agony during the procedure and I think the the nurses knew that but never questioned the consultant. I felt it was barbaric.

I filled in a form asking how the procedure went explaining what had happened, I have received no reply. It was one of the worst experiences of my life.

Response from Fairfield General Hospital

We are sorry to read your comment regarding your visit to the Endoscopy Unit at Fairfield General Hospital. If you wish to discuss your concerns, pleased contact the Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) on 0161 604 5897. We will also forward your comment to the department manager.