"Sent home with the wrong drugs."

About: Wansbeck Hospital / Accident and emergency

I had cause to visit Wansbeck A&E on early morning, triage process was quick, I was the only one in there, I was quickly sent to the surgical assessment unit, Staff were friendly and kind.

But Wansbeck Pharmacy and those that should be checking let you all down. They sent me home with the wrong drugs.

Sunday I checked the paperwork as I wasn't sure about the Ibuprofen. The drugs listed on the paperwork, were not the drugs that I came home with. Amongst the drugs given on discharge, I was given Ibuprofen instead of the paracetamol listed. It may seem minor, but not when a patient has a history of asthma.

If your still getting the little things wrong, what hope is there of "lessons learnt" for those of us whom have lost our family members via poor care in our health services in the past?

Response from Joanne Mackintosh, Service Improvement Project Manager, Northumbria Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust

Dear Mrs Bee

Thank you taking the time to make us aware of your recent experience at Wansbeck Hospital. I am so sorry that this has happened and I know that the pharmacy team will be extremely concerned that this error has been made. I will forward your comments to David Campbell who is our Chief Pharmacist. It would be really helpful to the team if you could get in touch, as this will allow them to do a full investigation. If you could email me at Annie.laverty@northumbria-healthcare.nhs.uk I would really appreciate it.

Best Wishes

Annie

Response from Wansbeck Hospital

Dear Sir/Madam I am so sorry that you have had a poor experience of care at Wansbeck Hospital. I can understand that you may want us to investigate the care you received at Wansbeck further. This is something I would be very keen to help with. If you think this would be helpful, please contact me at Annie.laverty@northumbria-healthcare.nhs.uk Kindest Regards Annie