"Our son was admitted with suspected appendicitis"

About: Cumberland Infirmary / General surgery West Cumberland Hospital

(as a parent/guardian),

We were on holiday and it was a Sunday which made us unsure of who to turn to for advice. We rang throught to the emergency system and were soon given an appointment for the Eden centre.

As soon as we arrived my son was doubled up in pain and was taken through straight away to be assessed. The nurses involved were quick to act and phone for an ambulance to take us to Carlisle Hospital within a few minutes.

By this time my son was in great pain and it would have been quite traumatic to drive him there ourselves -the journey there had been bad enough. I am very grateful the staff took us seriously, as I was unsure of what was happening with my son (9 years old).

Although we did wait around until the next morning for him to have his operation, we felt very much looked after. The appendix was indeed infected so it was a deserving case.

I would just like to say thank you to the staff there for acting so quickly as I don't usually make a fuss, and I wasn't made to feel a 'fussy' mum at all. My son has since made a speedy recovery. Thanks again.

Response from Alison Proudfoot, General Manager for Patient Experience, North Cumbria University Hospitals Trust

Dear Jo

Thank you for getting in touch at what must be a very anxious time for you, your son and your family, especially being on holiday away from home.

I am so pleased to hear that your son received care in such a timely way and that you felt looked after by the team. I will make sure that they are made aware of your message; they will be delighted to receive this feedback.

I’m sure that they would want to join me in wishing your son a full and on going recovery,

With best wishes

General Manager Patient Experience

Response from Cumberland Infirmary

Thank you so much for getting in touch . It sounds like you had a very anxious time with your son and I am pleased that his care was handled so approriately at all stages . With best wishes to your son for his on going recovery Thank you again Alison Patient Experience