"Visit to A&E with my daughter"

About: Airedale General Hospital

I had to visit A&E for the third time this year. The first being with my 80 year old nana who had a racing heart and breathing difficulty. Despite this she was left 20 minutes before being seen by a triage nurse who then asked her why she was visiting A&E despite her being rushed down by a nurse whilst she was attending a 'pre op' assessment, and we presumed we were sat waiting whilst they did a 'handover' to the nurses in A&E. The second being for myself for a hand injury and the third with my 11 year old daughter with an arm injury. Each visit I have found the majority of the nurses rude, unhelpful, abrupt and had a genuinr feeling that we were 'putting them out'. During the visit with my daughter the triage nurse huffed and puffed and fired questions at my daughter like she had done something wrong. The radiographer was also abrupt with her and we both felt like we were doing wrong by being there. a At one point my daughter asked if we could just leave it and go home. I understand the pressures on A&E nurses but I feel that most of them have lost the communication and compassionate side that probably guided them in to nursing. I would not recommend Airedale A&E to anyone and will personally be travelling further afield in future.

Response from Airedale General Hospital

We are sorry for the delay in replying to yor posting. We are also sorry to read of the negative experiences you describe. If you would like us to investigate this further, please contact our Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) on 01535 294019.