"Thank you for what you have given back and done..."

About: Western Eye Hospital

I was diagnosed last year at my local hospital ( L& D Luton) with a detached retina in my left eye and cataracts in both eyes. They told me that they could not help with the retina but I should go to Addenbrook’s Cambridge ; when I had got that fixed they could then attend to my cataracts. I was in shock and was not very happy with this situation or the way it was handled. Since I and my wife was in no position to drive to Addenbrook’s and ( L&D Luton) had no transport available I asked if I could go to Moorfield’s in London , which I could attend by train. They choose to book me for an appointment the next day at the Western Eye Hospital, which I had never heard of. Even though (L&D Luton) got the name of the Consultant wrong the Staff at WEH were absolutely fantastic right from the off and the retina was operated on that same evening - my journey continued....I would have no hesitation in going back again or recommending them to others. The CEO and the Trust Board should congratulate all their Staff at WEH on the compassionate way each patient is treated and the fine dedicated work they carry out , often under difficult circumstances. Thank you so much for what you have given back and done for me. However, it is a pity in my opinion that this Hospital is part of a larger group, as its identity is over shadowed by St. Mary’s and the Imperial College Healthcare NHS Trust, the moment one walks in the door. WEH has an historic background stretching well over one hundred years; deserving much better and expanded in its own right and name. I am sure funding is difficult but perhaps the tea bar in the foyer could at least carry the ‘Friends of WEH’ banner if such a group exists.