"what a poor experience- Seabathing ward"

About: Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother Hospital

My elderly mother fell in the early hours of Tuesday morning and went to A & E at 00.40am then was transferred to Seabathing ward.However they never even bothered to contact me her daughter being the next of kin until over 13 hours later in the evening, when it was too late for me to visit her as I live in London. I am a Registered Nurse in London and when i expressed my disgust over this the ward tried to blame A & E saying she had not been with them for long. However after another phone call to the A & E sister she explained very clearly that my mother had in actual fact gone from them to the Seabathing ward at around 04.30 and they did not want to contact me at that early time but expected the ward staff to do this after admission to their ward. The Sister agreed that it was poor communication, especially as my mother is very elderly and frail and potentially having fractured her hip she may have died. I was livid and have now made a complaint, not only that the ward advised me that she would have to wait for her operation until Thursday as they did not have the correct equipment. I am absolutely disgusted by this poor care and lack of urgency with staff. Luckily she has now beened moved to a better ward and the staff seem more pro-active and caring. I do think that as a nurse which they all knew i was made it easier for me to complain and I would dread to think how "Jo Public" Would of managed with this.

Thank you for providing us with feedback, and I am sorry about the delays in communication which must have been very distressing for you and your mother.

I will ensure that the ward team are aware of the impact this has had on you. Please do get in touch via email and I will ensure that we have captured all your concerns about the care we have provided. I hope that your mother is now recovering well.

My email address is Julie.pearce1@nhs.net