"Beech ward"

About: Heartlands Hospital

My mother-in-law suffered a fractured femur after a fall. Her treatment in the ambulance and in A&E was excellent. She had to wait three days for surgery which probably contributed to her developing complications ( pneumonia and a pulmonary embolism) She was on the ward for nine weeks and due to poor nursing care was discharged with a deep pressure ulcer on the heel of the injured leg. During her time on the ward the staff did not talk to the family about her progress and when her doctor and social worker arranged a meeting to discuss her discharge not one of the nursing staff attended ! I found some of the staff to be indifferent to patients and their relatives,and as a former nurse I find that shocking.

Response from Iona Belgrove, Patient Services Manager, Heart Of England NHS Foundation Trust

Dear Anonymous

Thank you for posting your concerns on Patient Opinion Website regarding your complaint into the care and treatment your Mother in Law, received at Heartlands Hospital.

Could I please ask for you to get in contact with Patient Services Team on 0121 424 0808 or email me at iona.belgrove@heartofengland.nhs.uk so that we can carry out an investigation within the NHS Complaint Procedure.

I am very sorry you found cause for concern and for the distress this has caused to your mother in law and family.

Best wishes