"Unacceptable delays when attending outpatients - something needs to be done"

About: East Surrey Hospital / Urology

Having been admitted and subsequently discharged after 2 days, I was recalled to the urology outpatients to discuss my symptoms. On the first visit I was not seen until 90 minutes after my appointment time. I was subsequently asked to attend by phone to another appointment. On my arrival I was informed the clinic was running 30 minutes late. After 60 minutes having been told there was one more patient in front of me, I was informed there would be a further delay of 30 minutes.

These delays are totally unacceptable and appear to be peculiar to this clinic. Over the last six months I have attended various clinics at this and other hospitals 12 times in total and have never experienced delays of more than 15 minutes. I do not wish to complain about the staff as I have received nothing but excellent treatment. However something needs to be done about ensuring patients do not have these unacceptable delays when attending outpatients.

Response from Garry East, Assistant Director for Clinical Support Services, Clinical Support Services, Surrey and Sussex Healthcare NHS Trust

Dear Joe67,

I'm very sorry to read about the delays that you experienced in our Outpatients Department and on behalf of the Hospital Trust, I do apologise. If you could email me directly with your details then I will investigate the reasons for these delays and feedback to you as soon as possible - Garry.East@sash.nhs.uk

It’s important for us to understand patients experiences especially when it’s not been positive so I must thank you for taking the time to feedback to us.

Kind regards,

Garry East

Associate Director for Clinical Support Services

Surrey & Sussex Healthcare NHS Trust

• Joe67 thinks this response is helpful

Response from East Surrey Hospital

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments. I'm sorry to read that you experienced such long delays and we can only apologise. I will however, make sure that I pass this feedback to the Outpatients team as it is only by getting feedback from patients such as yourself, that we are able to improve our service. Thank you once again. Kind regards Maxine May